I just won my first blog award from Jen over at Jeneral Insanity! I feel like a real blogger now, so thank you! Jen started stalking following me a month ago today (awww, it’s our stalk-iversary) and I did the same. How could I not follow someone who enjoys a good booger story and would spend hours talking zombie with me if given the chance? Her blog is full of random, hilarious accounts of her life ranging from water gun fights in the mall with her brother to the epic battle of putting children to bed. Plus, she usually has a ton of self-drawn visual aids that are awesome! Definitely go check her out.
Anyway, onto my award! (Yippee!) I was granted the Liebster Award. It originated in Germany ‘cause I guess Germans used to have the best blogs or something, but in any case, it’s awarded to those of us newish bloggers who have less than 200 followers. (Special thanks to the five of you who read this blog for allowing me to qualify for this award.) Here it is in all it’s pink and heart filled glory:
I did some research on this award (namely, looking up the word “Liebster”) and I was totally, literally, born to get this! Liebster can be translated to “sweetheart” and wouldn’t you know, my last name, Schatz, also means “sweetheart!” My quarter German self is quite proud.
Now, there are conflicting rules about this here award. The original rules are clean and simple, then as Jen so perfectly put it, “a superstitious 11 year old girl [got] involved somewhere down the line.”
Original(ish) Rules For The Liebster Award:
1. You must thank the person who gave you this award.
2. You must display the Liebster heart on your blog.
3. You should nominate 3 to 5 up-and-coming blogs (with less than 200 subscribers)
The (now-ish) rules for The Liebster Award:
▪ Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
▪ Answer the questions the person giving the award has sent you.
▪ Create 11 questions for the people you will be giving the award to.
▪ Choose 11 people to award and send them the link to your post. Go to their page and tell them.
No tag backs.
So, basically, I’m going to do everything except choose 11 people to award. I’ll stick with the 3-5 guideline (mostly because I’m totally unpopular and can barely name 11 real life friends let alone blogging friends.)
Eleven Things About Me:
I always thought I was half Mexican/half German, until common sense kicked in a few years ago when my brother and I realized our Grandma’s maiden name is English; leaving us only a quarter German…but I still claim half most of the time. My favorite color is purple. I can’t smell. I’m not a huge fan of chocolate. I love Mountain Dew. My favorite Disney princess is Aurora. I still used to look for Smurfs in my backyard. I’ve run a marathon. I want to hike half-dome but seriously think I might die doing it, so I don’t avidly pursue it. I love miniature anything! Earrings are my favorite jewelry items.
11 Questions for wieners from The Jeneral:
1. What is the first thing you would do in the event of a Zombie Apocolypse?
Change my clothes since they’ll probably be what I’ll be wearing for the rest of my human life (and maybe during my zombie life assuming I don’t get completely eaten). Specifically, I’d want to make sure I have on a good pair of running shoes. Then I want to be wearing a lightweight, versatile outfit that will keep me warm when the temperatures drop, but cool in the summer months. Living in Southern California, that basically means a pair of jeans, and a t-shirt, but maybe I should invest in those khaki pants that can be zippered off into shorts?
2. If you were stranded on an island and could only take 3 things with you, what would they be?
I was just reading the Survivor bios and scoffing at many of their “3 things” lists, but now that I’m asked to answer the same question, I guess my list is pretty boring too: allergy pills, journal with pen (I’m counting that as one item), and my childhood teddy bear, Radar.
3. What would you do if I showed up at your house in a chicken suit with a potato gun and asked if you could come out to play?
I’d run into my bedroom, sort through mine and my boyfriend’s Nerf gun arsenal to find the biggest one, throw on the dorky safety glasses that came with one of our guns, and challenge you to a duel.
4. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be, and why? (Or not why. Some things are self-explanatory.)
As nice as it would be to change some of my physical attributes, at age 31, I’ve kinda become accustomed to my looks and would rather change something more sensible. That said, I’d take away my allergies. I know this can be done through shots, and I started the process a year ago, but you kinda need insurance to keep it going, and it takes 4 years anyway, so if I could make them gone in an instant, I’m all about that! Kittens here I come!
5. If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be, and why?
I’d take away all the injustices. Big or small, I’d want them all gone. I know that’s vague, but I’m a dreamer, so if you’re wondering if something is an injustice, yes, yes it is, and I’d like it gone.
6. What’s your favorite thing about writing a blog?
It’s that I get to speak up and tell my stories. I’m such an introvert in person. Even when I’m around people I’m comfortable with, I prefer to sit back and listen than have any attention drawn to me. This is my way of being in the spotlight without feeling awkward or having any of those social insecurities that pop up whenever I open my mouth around a group of people.
7. What is your favorite food?
Bean and cheese burrito. I could eat those forever.
8. If you had one super power, what would it be?
I kept going back and forth with this one, but I think I’m settled with moving objects with my mind. Perfect for the lazy in me, but also a great power to prank people with. Plus, I have no upper body strength whatsoever, so it’d come in handy when moving or carrying heavy objects.
9. Do you reheat leftover pizza, or eat it cold?
Both. If I’m doing a drive-by of my fridge, I’ll just pull out a slice and start munching on it cold. But if I’m about to sit down to a meal of leftover pizza, I’ll usually heat it up.
10. If I asked you really nicely and offered you my favorite pen, would you give me your pants?
Hmmm, I am a sucker for pens. I’d say yes, as long as I wasn’t wearing my Emergency Underwear. (You girls know the kind. The ones that hang unattractively loose off your butt with holes in every conceivable location that you keep stashed in a crumpled bunch at the back of your drawer for, well, emergencies.)
11. Coming up with 11 random questions is hard. If you were me, what would you ask you? Please do that here and then answer it.
Seeing as I am about to be you and having to come up with 11 questions of my own, I will come up with one, answer it, and then use it on my upcoming victims awardees. And that question would be: Toilet paper hanging over or under? My answer: Over.
Questions for my Liebster winners:
- If you had to choose one food to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- In the case of a zombie apocalypse, if one of the people most dear to you turned into a zombie, would you put them out of their misery, lock them up in hopes for a cure, or set them free to feed on brains? (Or if you have another alternative, what would you do?)
- When living with a spouse or partner, what are your thoughts about using the restroom with the door open?
- Why did you start your blog?
- Who is your favorite super hero?
- If you could be any animal in the world, what animal would you be and why?
- What are your feelings on Hot Cheetos and Takis?
- Toilet paper hanging over or under?
- Do you believe in ghosts? Why or why not?
- If you could leave today and go anywhere in the world for a week-long trip, where would you go? (money and life won’t get in your way, so dream as big as you’d like)
- Mac or PC and why?
And now for my Liebster Award winners:
The Cat Lady Sings – She’s an artist in every way! Whether it is through writing, painting, or music, this girl is talented! She loves to travel and share her stories about her adventures, while being sure to sprinkle in cute pictures of her cat. She’s great about updating on a regular basis, so you’ll become hooked immediately.
Can I Get Another Bottle of Whine – She’s a mommy keepin’ it real! She speaks candidly about pronto poops, wiping her boogers on the side of the bed (something we bonded over), and boob grabbing in church. Plus, she has this cool thing on Tuesdays where you can hilariously caption her home photos.
From The House of Cole – Currently living in Germany, I think this award was meant for her as well. She’s a writer, beginning a 30-day challenge to complete 50,000 words of her current novel. Her blog writing is so beautifully honest and descriptive, that you’ll instantly fall in love.